The original German-American organization, the Steuben Society, works with the German-American National Congress and United German American Committee of the U.S.A. through the German-American Joint Action Committee (GAJAC), a collaboration for planning the execution for educational and cultural aspects of “German-American Day” in Washington, D.C.
RSS Feed Subscription
- 'Rearmament Spiral': A German Clash over Trump's NATO DemandsU.S. President Donald Trump's demand that NATO member states pay their fair share has turned into a political hot potato ahead of German elections later this year. But the debate ignores a salient fact: The German military is in a terrible state.
- SPIEGEL Exclusive: Documents Indicate Germany Spied on Foreign JournalistsGermany's foreign intelligence agency, the BND, apparently spied on large numbers of foreign journalists overseas over the course of several years, including employees of the BBC, Reuters and the New York Times. Critics see a massive violation of press freedoms.
- Schulz versus Merkel: The Revitalization of Democracy in GermanyThe surprise news that former European Parliament president Martin Schulz will run against Angela Merkel to become Germany's next chancellor has rekindled interest in politics in the country. After two lackluster elections in 2009 and 2013, it also fosters new hope for a liberal democracy in crisis.
- Climate Change in Germany: Merkel Might Lose After AllWith just six months until Germans go to the polls, Angela Merkel's re-election is looking less certain by the week. Martin Schulz is a dangerous adversary and his Social Democrats are full of the kind of enthusiasm that the chancellor's party lacks. By SPIEGEL Staff
- 'Achilles Heel': Merkel's Conservatives Divided as Campaign BeginsWith the Social Democrats surging in the polls after choosing Martin Schulz as their candidate for chancellor, the German election campaign has begun. But Chancellor Merkel's conservatives are deeply divided -- and trying in vain to paper over their differences.
- SPIEGEL Interview with Martin Schulz: 'The Trump Approach Will Never Be Our Approach'Martin Schulz, the former president of European Parliament, is now running against Angela Merkel for the German Chancellery. SPIEGEL speaks with him about populism, the stability of democracy and Donald Trump.
- A Tectonic Shift in the German Election: Meet the Man Who Will Challenge MerkelWith the surprise announcement that Martin Schulz, until recently the head of the European Parliament, will be the Social Democrats' chancellor candidate this fall, the German political landscape has undergone a tectonic shift. Now Chancellor Angela Merkel must prepare for a real fight.
- Dear Facebook, This Man Is Not a Terrorist: Selfie with Merkel Haunts RefugeeUnder normal circumstances, he would be considered a shining example of integration. But a selfie of Anas Modamani together with German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been used repeatedly to label the young Syrian refugee as a terrorist. The 19-year-old has had enough and is taking legal action against Facebook.
- Democracy Under Pressure: Germany Balances Liberty and Security in Face of TerrorIn the wake of the Berlin terror attack, leading German politicians have begun demanding changes to the country's security architecture. With fall elections approaching, the issue is set to dominate the campaign. But there's also a danger of going too far. By SPIEGEL Staff
- A Known 'Threat': Why Did Germany Fail to Stop Terrorist?German authorities identified Anis Amri as a potential terrorist threat months ago. How did they fail to stop him from committing his deadly attack? These government failures are likely to haunt the country for months to come. By SPIEGEL Staff